May 30, 2012

Westboros Among Us

I don't know why my mind boggles when I view this video -- I really shouldn't be surprised. I guess I've known all along that we have large numbers of Westboro Baptist Churches, not just one anomalous example of poisonous hate. (...and if looking forward with joyous self-satisfaction to the day when another group of people will be viciously and incessantly tortured for all eternity while you bask in splendor doesn't fit the definition of hate, I don't know what does.)


This group of people have the right to speak their opinions. (I'm not so sure they have the right to brainwash their children, but that's a topic for another day.) But freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism. What these adults are doing to this child is evil -- no ifs, ands, or buts. They are warping this young boy's mind with delusions of self-righteous superiority. You see, he won't have to focus as hard on being a better person, because he can always count on being fundamentally better than another group of people.