September 04, 2014

Consistency in Outrage

Credit: Marcus Qwertyus 
For everyone who felt the need to support Chick-Fil-A with your dollars as they were being "persecuted" by boycotts in response to their CEO's stance on same-sex marriage, I hope you will likewise lend your support to the Dallas Cowboys, who are being boycotted for their hiring of Michael Sam. If the outrage you felt in the first situation far exceeds any outrage you feel in the second, I think you should ask yourself what really outraged you about the Chick-Fil-A affair. Was it really because someone was being boycotted for their publicly-stated beliefs (no matter what those beliefs might be), or was it because someone was being boycotted for a belief you sympathize with? Should I expect increased support for the Dallas Cowboys this year from the same folks who celebrated Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day? I won't be holding my breath.