I have decided to tune out more of the noise in my life. So here's how not to be noise:
- Base your opinions on all available, pertinent facts.
- Make sure your facts are indeed facts, i.e., measurably true.
- Make sure your conclusions are internally logically consistent.
- Make sure that your conclusions are consistent with those you've drawn in the past or, if not, admit it and alter the impacted conclusions.
- Do not counter arguments that no one has advanced.
- Be aware of and admit your biases.
- If you can't counter arguments that challenge yours, admit it and honestly consider conceding the point.
- Avoid ad hominem attacks.